I would advise the President--who never listens--to go with a conciliatory tone later today when he attempts to spin the utter political disaster that befell his party last night.
The House is gone. The Senate will soon follow.
Republicans did not pick up a single Democratic seat in the House or Senate, nor did they gain any Democratic Governor's mansion.
That's a mandate (sweeping mandate).
Just what kind of mandate is it?
It is not a mandate for impeachment.
That is not going to make me or a lot of other Democrats or anti-Bush fellow travelers very happy, but it's quite clear. For better or for worse Nancy Pelosi became the Democrats' leader during this campaign, which was widely thought of as a contest for the House of Representatives (the Senate comes as a bonus for running the campaign for the House so well). It was our leader, Nancy Pelosi, who took impeachment off the table. She did it in the clearest fashion possible.
The mandate (sweeping mandate) is to end the war. From the exit polls we also see that there is a clear mandate to fix the culture of corruption in Washington.
If the Decider decides that he's going to pussyfoot around with that mandate (excuse me, sweeping mandate) then impeachment leaps off the couch, brushes its teeth, and hops onto the table, smiling brightly.
So keep your powder dry, impeachment hawks. Your day may come. It just can't come at the expense of the good will we all worked so hard for.
Tags: Election 2006, Impeachment, Bush, Nancy Pelosi.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
- ► 2010 (220)
- ► 2009 (423)
- ► 2008 (917)
- ► 2007 (995)
- Why The Lights Stay on in Herat
- A Journey Deep Into the Heart of Sheer Insanity
- Iraqi Nationalism
- Bush Asks Wrong Question
- Dodd to Bush--Hold that Torture Bill, Cowboy
- Alaska to Judge--Piss Off
- Israel Used Landmines in Lebanon
- Capitalism Has Officially Jumped the Shark
- Ben Stein--Class Warrior
- Hall Likely to Pass on (Suspiciously) Big Mac
- Pope's Relationship With Turkey Evolving
- Rudi Warm; Kerry Ice Cold
- Kramer and Colmes?
- Masters of War
- Unfriendly Skies
- Hey Man, Get the Door...
- The Iraq News--No Time for Darfur, Rummy's Allies ...
- Happy Thanksgiving, Station Nation
- Investigate Fast, For We Have Much Ground to Cover...
- Dana Carvey - Framin' OJ
- Why Carville Attacked Dean
- Peace Deal in Nepal Ends Ten Years of War
- Janet Reno Joins Challenge to Military Commissions...
- Keith Olbermann's Special Comment on Bush and Viet...
- Lopez Launches Own Government
- Iraqis' Take on Democrats--More Security, Please!
- Where Judaism, Christianity and Islam Meet
- Confusion Reigns--Fox to do Fake News
- Plans Still Afoot to Invade Iran?
- Teacher Taped Preaching to Class
- UCLA Tasering On Countdown
- Beck to Islamic Congressman-elect--Prove Your Not ...
- Harry Waxman to Demolish Halliburton? Yep.
- Lightning Round--Welcome to the Bush Freedom Cente...
- Penguins--Totally Gay
- 2008 Hopeful Edwards Makes the Rounds
- God Forbid the Gays and the Straights Align
- Recruiters--War, What War? That Thing? It's Over...
- The Iraq News--Bush Wants to Escalate, Blair on Mi...
- Bipartisanship--It's Not for Everyone
- Pakistan Moves to Change Rape Laws
- When Free Speech Meets Free Trade
- Christians United For Israel
- Fox News Memo--"Be on the Lookout for Any Statemen...
- I'm an Expert on Oil Prices
- Iran's Democratic Movement Broken
- Spread of AIDs Rampant Among African Children
- The Fox News News--Killer Bees, Borat, Brittany, a...
- Evolution Simplified for Educational Purposes
- Jim Webb chats with Lou Dobbs
- IST's 1,000th Post--It's Cake or Death!
- Who's Up for a Presidential Election? Biden in, F...
- BUMPED--Getting Well--This is Going to Take A Whil...
- Target: Grover Norquist--Who He is and Why He Suc...
- The Intergalactic News--Earth Undefended, Robots D...
- KOMMANDOS RAID--VETERANS DAY 2006 (GAINESVILLE, FL...
- Did Pelosi Whack Rummy? I Think Not
- Kommandos Project Plans Veterans Day Campaign
- Rush, We Feel Liberated Too
- So, If Hastert's Not Running...
- Howard Dean... Super Genius
- AP--Rumsfeld Out!
- Macaca-Doodle-Don't Even Try It
- The Impeachment Debate
- Ignoring the Exit Polls by Using the Force
- History is What the White House Decides it is
- Bye, Bye Tom
- Comedy Central Coverage looks Quite Midtacular Ind...
- Happy Election Day--We're Doomed!
- Bush National Security--Here You Go Terrorists, Ro...
- Frank Rich--On Truthiness, Colbert, Borat and Why ...
- Need a Reason to Vote Democrat? Really? Okay--Ri...
- Hacking Democracy
- Republicans? Very Desperate
- A Message from Barack Obama--Tomorrow is the Day
- Poor War Planning Creates Rift Between Kang, Kodos...
- Republican Dirty Tricks in Tennessee
- Election 2006--A Response to Greed
- No Report on Foley and Hey Did you Hear? They're ...
- The Iraq News--Army Times Trashes Rumsfeld, Nuke P...
- Bill Maher--Bush Lost the War
- Stay the Disaster
- Neocon Architect of War Perle--"I Underestimated t...
- The Jesus News--Ted Haggard, New Survey, More Ted ...
- Seafood Gone by 2048
- Keith Olbermann's Special Comment--Stuck in Iraq
- Conflict of Interest? What Conflict of Interest? ...
- Letters From a Soldier
- The Swiftboating of John Kerry--Wait... Didn't Th...
- ▼ November (90)