MSNBC Poll Shows Overwhelming Support
Come on Congressional Democrats, get the lead out. Listen up. Get off the stump, and go to work, fercryinoutloud!! We are tired of lame excuses. Sure, you say that the narrow majority in the Senate would preclude a conviction, but at least consider the political upside.
Those last two points are key to bringing normalcy back to politics in the United States. Without a healthy news media, you can forget about true democracy. As Abraham Lincoln pointed out, it is ESSENTIAL that the voter be given the true facts upon which to base his electoral decision. That hasn't been happening since Reagan gutted the Fairness Doctrine. A public trial of a sitting President and Vice President would be so important to the American public that even FOX "news" and ABC/Disney might consider reporting the facts for a change. If they don't, they can face the consequences of losing their broadcast licenses after the Democratic landslide in '08. And if you DO impeach, you can count on that landslide. Should they elect to lie or spin the news in Bu$hCo™'s favor, they could even face charges of involvement in a criminal conspiracy to subvert the process of democracy. And that's TREASON. (cue image of a blindfolded Rupert Murdoch being offered a cigarette)
- You'd be wildly popular for showing some guts for a change.
- The Senate trial would bring the issues of malfeasance before the American public in a way the media could not ignore.
- Senators up for re-election in 2008 would be put on the spot. Could they vote to support an unpopular President after overwhelming evidence of criminal behavior had been presented in the news? I think not.
Finally, there are many more GOP senators than Democrats in the 2008 cohort up for re-election. I think it's 21 and 12 respectively. (Update: It is. Click for a list.) That is a major opportunity to put a lock on the upper house that will last until 2014. To ignore such a golden opportunity hardly sends a signal to the public that you're in it to win it, now does it? Just the opposite in fact, it at least hints that you are complacent in;
There comes a point where complacency becomes complicity, and you are very near to that point, beyond it in the opinions of some. When Russ Feingold called for a motion of censure over the NSA wiretapping where were you? Most of you sat on your hands, and the issue died, along with the fourth amendment. A LOT of you supported the odious Military Commissions Act, the most blatant outrage against Constitutional principles since the Constitution was drawn up in 1787. And some of you supported the traitor Joe LIEberman against Ned Lamont, not only in the primary, but in the election itself, after the Republicans had endorsed him for Gawd's sake! I could go on. I could go on and on.
- the erosion of democracy
- the rigging of elections
- the subversion of Justice
- the selling out of the middle class to corporate interests
ledlied into an unjustified, wasteful war of aggression
- the WAR CRIMES this administration is guilty of
- the suspension of habeas corpus
- illegal wiretapping of citizens
- torture and murder of uncharged 'suspects'
- a wholesale culture of corruption that is basically 'government for sale'
If you want to earn back our trust, you must impeach Bush, Cheney, and Gonzales.
YOU MUST IMPEACH!! Can't hear me?
YOU MUST IMPEACH!! Dammit,
YOU MUST IMPEACH!!
TAGS: Impeach Bush, Impeach Cheney, Impeach Gonzales, Investigations