I am one cheesy fuck. I'm about to do a copy-and-paste job from my personal blog, but it's because it's a really interesting story. It's an unvarnished view from behind the scenes of today's conference call, which I, as a total novice, find fascinating. I hope you do, too. Keep in mind, the "voice" is my personal one, not my journalist's voice. In other words, read it as you would "Slam Poetry" rather than a reasoned assessment. The pictures are out of context smart girls who I find sexy.
They all try this shit, where they "run out the clock" on your question so you look like an asshole for following up. Lucky for me, I have good editors.
I figured something out about reporters. I was wondering today why it is that so few of them ask challenging questions, and the ones who do don't get answers. I think it's because there are 2 kinds of reporters. One tries to prove they're the smartest kid in the class by asking super-wonky policy questions, and the other tries to prove they're "plugged in", and will ask a leading question in a way that will not get a response, but show how "tough" they are.
Example of second kind: Today, a guy asked a long question saying something like "How do you respond to the gathering impression in the mainstream media that you are in denial about the statistical realities of the race, etc., the math isn't there..."
It's a fine question, but what kind of answer are you gonna get? "Yep, Jeff, we're in denial. Thanks for clearing that up. We'll pack up now, can you hit the lights?"
No, you get the same 5 talking points they give you for free at the top of each conference call, and that's your one question wasted. There's a better way to construct that question. You need a question that gets you a useful answer no matter how they answer it.
It aggravates me a little, actually. During these calls, I only half-listen most of the time because they're only pulling out shit we've heard before, and I jot down follow-ups that should be asked, but I get 1 or 2 shots, I'm not gonna waste them asking someone else's fucking question.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Thursday, March 27, 2008
- ► 2010 (220)
- ► 2009 (423)
- Lou Dobbs Doesn't Cotton to Race Talk
- Pastor Jeremiah Wright -- Goddamn The New York Tim...
- Let's Look Into Stuff
- Protesters Bust Out War Criminal Banner At Rove Sp...
- Three Simple Rules for Commenting on Blogs
- Iraq Pivot Coming
- American John McCain's New American Ad
- My Collected Writings on Hillary Clinton
- Ice Station Tango is Just Fine, Planet Earth... No...
- Nice House, Karl
- "The Dukakis Effect"
- The Governor's Getting Sprung
- Bloomberg Obama's VP? Nah.
- Molly Ivins Saw it Coming
- A Few Words About Andy Habsieger
- The Audacity to Hope People Will Listen to Jeremia...
- Campaign Flagging, Hillary Clinton Turns to Richar...
- Al-Sadr Ceasefire Shaky
- America's Governor
- You Didn't Happen to See Four Nose-cone Fuses for ...
- Church Protestors Face Felony Charges
- No Liberalism in the Mud
- I'm Tommy Christopher, Byatch!!
- Depends on Your Definition of Sniper Fire
- Reading Hitler's Lips
- Frank to Propose Decriminalization of Marijuana
- Good Friday in the Philippines
- Mark Briskeborn--Why are there Suicide Bombers?
- I'm Tommy Christopher and You're Not
- China and Yahoo at it Again
- It's Getting Ridiculous
- Are the McCain and Clinton State Department Breech...
- Kommandos Return for Fifth Anniversery
- Clinton's Poor Judgement... Of Comedy
- New Claims in Siegelman Case
- Fear Not Obama Supporters, The Sky Is Not Falling
- As if they Were Adults
- The Iraq News
- Bloggers Unite! Help Wikileaks Spread Coverage of ...
- McCain Advisor Lashes Out at Christian Right
- Conservatives Ask--Why Should God Bless America?
- Reaction to Obama's Speech
- Obama's Speech Comprehensive, Inspired
- Eclipsing the Tsunami
- They Love You K-Mart, They Really Love You
- Correa to Bush--Zip It
- Or, You Could Just Do it That Way
- Media Attention to Wright is an Opportunity for Ob...
- The Bush Memorial
- Obama Releases List of Earmarks
- U.S. Drops China From Human Rights List
- Montel Williams's Plea for Sanity
- Ferraro Loses Media War in Landslide
- Oil Shitting Bacteria Soon
- You Want I Should Break His Legs?
- Maddow and Olberman--Dream Ticket
- House Dems Defy Bush on Immunity
- Why Spitzer Saga Hurts Clinton
- Something Fishy Here
- Rove Ducks YouTube, Capture at University of Iowa
- Scientists--To Save World Emmissions Must Be Zero
- We're Doing the Decadent End of America Wrong
- Angela Davis--The Prison: A Sign of Democracy?
- Clinton Endorses McCain
- Meet Oklahoma State Representative Sally Kern
- Bring Back Samantha Power
- KBR Ducked Hundreds of Millions in Medicare and So...
- Very Few Scientists Predicted Cooling In the 70's
- Whistleblower Reveals Scope of Privacy Violations
- Lightning Round--Non Election Coverage Edition
- Tonight's Primaries Are Not Going to Change Anythi...
- Weather Channel Founder -- 'Sue Gore'
- Al-Zawahri's New Book Drops
- It's Sad Really...
- Stealthy, Like a Ninja...
- Bill Clinton in '04--"You Better Vote for the Pers...
- Obama Responds to Clinton's 3am Ad
- Four More Years... of Howard Dean at the DNC
- ▼ March (79)
- ► 2007 (995)