Dennis Kucinich stopped by the O'Reilly Factor to talk about his articles of impeachment against George W. Bush. And they called the articles a waste of time. Talking to O'Reilly...
One of the arguments I've heard on the left against impeachment hearings is that it would hurt Barack Obama. As evidence, polls that showed Bill Clinton receiving a huge bump in his approval rating when impeachment proceedings started were cited by Lionel at Air America. Lionel didn't cite any of the polling that shows how the American people feel about impeachment now. There's a good reason for that. No impeachment polls have been taken this year. Late last year 55% of people in this poll believed that Bush's abuses of power raised to the level of impeachment (although about 40% percent of that number believed that despite Bush's impeachable offenses, he should not be impeached). That was over six months ago and all trends are moving toward impeachment. We also have to consider how deeply unpopular Bush is. My God, he has David Letterman firing at will on him every night.
Granted, there's no way that the entire impeachment process can play itself out before Bush leaves office. His lawyer Fred Fielding will gum up the process enough that a vote on impeachment in the House might not even happen before November. But, if Barack Obama is serious about allowing his attorney general to investigate crimes of the Bush administration, letting a few months of impeachment investigations go on before the general election is a good way to build up a record that prosecutors can use later. It's also a good way to keep reminding the American people what John McCain's buddy did to us.
There's also the morality issues. If we don't do this, we'll be repeating the mistake Gerald Ford made when he pardoned Richard Nixon. We send the message that when the President does it, it's not illegal, no matter what it is. Not only does that mean the unitary executive is not dead and buried, but it's also very destructive for a society to lose its grounding in the rule of law.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Saturday, June 14, 2008
- ► 2010 (220)
- ► 2009 (423)
- Slow Burn of the USA Purge Continues
- The Greatest of All Time At Saying Nothing
- Joe Lieberman Lobs Politics of Fear at His Old Par...
- Out of Office Memo
- Applying Into A Black Hole
- We're Toast
- Let's Have the Election Today!
- Lightning Round--Refocusing Priorities, Carlin, FI...
- McCain on Internet Fund Raising in '04--'That's Wh...
- Comedy is Hard
- The Swiftboating of Immanuel Kant
- NPR's On The Media Visits China
- Goodbye, George Carlin
- Neocons Spinning the Past and the Future
- The Countdown
- Obama Will Fight Telecom Immunity... (Well...)
- Damn Right He Opted Out
- Nelson Mandela, Who is Still Alive, Is On Our Terr...
- Action Alert! 4th Amendment About To Be Shredded!
- The Drill Shill--Crist Was Against It, Jeb Begged ...
- Tyrannical Attitudes Hurt National Security
- Obama--"Let's Talk About 9/11"
- Lara Logan Talks About Iraq on TDS
- When Mark Dice Met Michael Reagan
- Global Blogging Arrests Triple
- Year of the Tornado
- Gore Endorses Obama
- For Russert--"Thunder Road"
- Impact of Clinton-turned-McCain Supporters Overblo...
- McCain's Thesis Explains Why We Lost in Vietnam
- Bush Wants to Nail Bin Laden
- Representative Accuses Oil Industry of Price Infla...
- Impeachment is Not Going To Happen, But...
- Obama Launches Site to Fight the Smears
- Letterman Unleashes Hell
- Habeas Makes a Comeback
- Preparing for the Robot Army
- Obama is a Muslim Smear Attempt #126,735
- Racists for Obama
- McCain Would Work With Cheney
- Drudge Thrives Because the Media Sucks
- Forget it, He's Rolling
- Scarlett Johansson is Obama's Buddy
- Impeachment A Lot to Me
- Can't Go to the Pearl Jam Show
- The 5 Most Liberal U.S. Senators
- Simple Answer--Al Gore
- IST Sports: Dolphins Hire Fleischer, Laura Bush Ge...
- Kucinich Introduces Articles of Impeachment
- What's a Radio?
- Nutpicking McCain's Blog
- Clarke Suggest Shunning Iraq Invasion Liars
- Maher Takes on Religion in New Film
- McCain's Phony Reformer Cred Fracturing
- So Desperate
- Initial Reaction to Hillary Clinton's Consession S...
- A Look Back at the Beginning of it All
- C-SPAN Viewers Vent on Republican Rep
- No Need for Comedy--We're the Joke
- The Fist Bump is Making a Comeback
- Dean Staying, Lobbyists Leaving
- Obama Digs The Wire
- After the Black Gold Rush
- Air America, Dead to Me Again
- Last Night's Obama Speech
- No Turning Back, Democrats
- The Real Cost of the Lewinsky Affair
- Judge Rules For Stein
- The Obama Belt
- Lightning Round - Iraq, Gay Marriage, Blog Comment...
- ▼ June (71)
- ► 2007 (995)