It's been nearly eight years of insanity since the Supreme Court stuck George W. Bush into office. The insanity peaked in early 2005, when Bush was inaugurated for a second term. The horror I felt at the sight of this incompetent murder waltzing by the judgment of history to smugly stand before us and claim a mandate from a stolen election while pushing his bogus occupation as some Churchillian endeavor while gathering his imaginary political capital for a push to privatize social security...
While the second term of the Bush Administration rolled on endlessly, the one respite that people who were intensely nauseated by our criminal president could rely on was the liberal blogs. In the spirit of the revolutionaries that so many of us emulated, we got to work. Research warriors, mostly working in their free time for no pay, broke down the propaganda of the administration, exposing one fabrication after another. If it weren't for these alternatives to the hard line that took over all aspects of the media, we would have had no voice and the class warriors for wealth and greed who dominate positions of power in our government, our businesses and our culture would have hauled off more fortune at the expense of blood and misery than the massive tolls they accumulated thus far.
Now there's a light at the end of the tunnel. The pendulum is swinging back the other way. Barring a staggering electoral upset, the progressive movement will come out of a very dark period of its history to find that the Republicans have essentially been run out of Washington, D.C.
But what remains is a Democratic Congress that is completely out of touch with the progressive movement and a President that many in the movement are pissed off at for the way he has conducted the general election. The stress of these realities has taken a toll on "liberal blog unity". No problem there, because no blogger worth a damn wants this movement to be about conformity. That shit is for losers. If anything killed the conservative movement it is their zealous adherence to the party line. Without dissenters in their own movement, bad move after bad move were reinforced by the right wing echo chamber that so many political critics credited with being the secret ingredient for a ong term Republican majority that only lasted 12 years.
The infighting on the left should be an inherent strength because it propels the best the ideas to the surface where savvy politicians can wield them against insufficiently armed Republicans. It's not that simple. While the competition often does drive very clear and affective ideas into the political discourse, there is a critical mass at which healthy competition becomes fierce bloodletting.
During this critical point in the campaign, it seems that the bloodletting has crossed the line and our candidate is being undermined. We're in danger of scrificng the good in futile pursuit of the perfect. Sounds lame perhaps, but here's what I plan to do. When Obama does something that feel like "moves to the center", I will think about the morning after the 2004 election when John Kerry inexplicably stopped fighting despite supporters from all over the country jumping on cars, boats, trains, buses, mules, mopeds, bicycles and tricycles desperately trying to get to Ohio so they could tear that state apart to find all the votes that were swiped.
Happy Fourth of July.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Friday, July 04, 2008
- ► 2010 (220)
- ► 2009 (423)
- Orwell's Back and He's Pretty Pissed
- That Tricky Bush Administration
- Oh Ted Stevens, How I Intend to Continue Mocking Y...
- Read McCain's Lips If You Can
- Obama Would Review Executive Orders
- The Military Industrial Complex--It's Much, Much W...
- Let's See, Why Wouldn't Obama Tell The Media Certa...
- Stevens Indictment News Hits Tubes
- Taking A Break From Blowing Up Robots So I Can Blo...
- Goodling Crossed the Line
- Lightning Round--Going On the Lam Edition
- Get it Together Stretch--You Gotta At Least Quadru...
- Is McCain Bush's Cleaner?
- Sauce for the Goose
- Bush Diagnoses The Economy's Drinking Problem
- Brand New Colony
- Lightning Round--McCain's Veep, Netroots Nation, M...
- A Kinder, Gentler Energy Corperation?
- Meet Meet the Bloggers
- Phil Gramm Friday Evening News Dumps Himself
- Malone--West Should Be Very Worried About Chinese ...
- Obama in Kuwait
- On the Road to His Time Horizon
- Iraqi Contractors Ignored Electrical Hazards
- Bjork - Joga
- Channel Surfing Through Insomnia
- Levin Goes After Tax Shelters
- I've Found George W. Bush's Legacy!
- Maddow Coming to the TV Machine?
- Iran's Photoshopping Capabilities Must be Stopped
- I Do Not Know This Ron Paul You Speak Of
- Keep Your Chin Up
- Lightning Round - AP Bias, Bush and the Taliban, A...
- Obama Talks with Fareed Zakaria
- It's Just Satire, Right?
- We're All Mad Here--One in 300 On Terror Watch Lis...
- Satire My Ass
- Kill Bill--McCain Takes Credit for GI Bill He Trie...
- Wherefore Art Thou Hussein Obama
- Rove, Democracy On Vacation
- U.S. Economy Will Force End of Empire
- Cheney Gets What Cheney Wants
- FISA Passes
- Lightning Round--Covering Fox, The Rove Law, China...
- Undefined Web Still Up for Grabs
- Stone Tablet Overrated
- Obama's Iraq Message Same as it Was in 2007
- Bush Takes an Eraser to Jefferson
- No Surprise, Blogosphere Very Polarized
- Rove/Edwards Debates Prelude to Court Date?
- Name Your Price, Bin Laden
- Fourth of July Special Comment
- Dollar Down 41% During Bush Era
- Obama's Credit Good, WaPo Credibility Bad
- Suicide Painless, Prison Painful
- AT&T Whistleblower: Spy Bill Creates 'Infrastructu...
- Call McCain a Wahhhmbulance
- The Bush Mysteries
- Katie Bags a Murrow!
- Murphy Gets Anti-Profiteering Law Passed
- ▼ July (60)
- ► 2007 (995)