Maddow is not a Tim Russert or a Chris Matthews--an ostensibly nonpartisan interviewer who badgers politicians and policy-makers about contradictions in their records. Nor is she a Rush Limbaugh or a Glenn Beck--an attack dog who deals in calculated anger, bluster, and outrage. She's no mild-mannered liberal like Alan Colmes or a veteran observer like Wolf Blitzer or David Gregory. Maddow has broken the broadcasting mold. She has succeeded as an avowed liberal on television precisely because she is not a liberal version of conservatives like Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck. Unlike so many progressive media figures who sought to replicate the on-air habits of the aggressive shock jocks of the right, she stumbled upon a workable style for the left. She is liberal without apology or embarrassment, bases her authority on a deep comprehension of policy rather than the culture warrior's claim to authenticity, and does it all with a light, even slightly mocking, touch. She proves that liberals can attract viewers on television when they actually act like, well, liberals.The show's off to a great start and knowing Rachel's skills like I do, I can honestly say, things can only get better.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
by Jay Allbritton
The American Prospect has a nice feature on Rachel Maddow's break into the mainstream. This paragraph captures her essence quite well:
- ► 2010 (220)
- ► 2009 (423)
- Swing States Swinging Toward Obama
- How Do We Blog About Books?
- Chris Rock on Larry King
- Depends on What Your Definition of 'Significant Ph...
- Bailout Loses House Vote
- McCain Puts Science on Notice
- Congress Bails Out The Military Industrial Complex...
- McCain Wins in New Ad
- Alicia's Book is Out!
- Researchers Close in on Crown of Aleppo
- Sorry to Report, She's Still A Joke
- It Pays to Have a Bulletproof Contract
- Debate Wrap from The Young Turks
- Initial Debate Reaction
- Can You Vote?
- A Message from Elite Wall Street Fat Cats In Need
- The Pitchman
- Naomi Klein on Democracy Now!
- VP Candidate Palin Free of Witchcraft
- Campbell Brown Took it A Little Bit Too Far
- Why McCain Ditched the Letterman Show
- Colbert Asks Stewart to Join Him in Suspending Sho...
- One Simple God-damned Thing: The Lifetime Ban
- American Prospect Features Maddow
- He's On The Tank
- Harry Reid to McCain--You're Not Needed
- I Want Candy!
- Rep. DeFazio On The Bailout
- Campbell Brown Goes Off!
- October Surprise?
- Blogs Against Kleptocracy - The Crisis du Jour
- Lightning Round--Bush is Making a Run for the Get ...
- Obama -- No Blank Check
- Surging Against Ghosts
- YouTube is Way Ahead of Me
- Isn't Zapatero in Rage Against The Machine?
- McCain Throws Kitchen Sink at Self
- What's Really Going On Here?
- Charges Against Amy Goodman, Co-workers Dropped
- McCain, Obama to Spar in Debates
- Burn After Reading Brings New Meaning to the Term ...
- Lightning Round--McCain's Spain Problem, Conservat...
- Bush Needs Super Powers
- Friday at the Ha-Ha Hole, Barack Obama!
- John Amato on E!
- I've Got Your Talking Points Right Here
- This is My 3,000th Post
- Troopergate Update
- You... Human Paraquat!
- Stewart --"Sarah Palin IS the Bush Doctrine"
- Charlie Rose talks to Bob Nardelli
- Lightning Round--Palin Toked Up, The Bridge of Lie...
- Obama Comes out Swinging
- 1, 2, 3, 4, We Will Not Participate
- SNL Deals Palin Crushing Blow
- McCain on The View
- Obama Faces off With O'Reilly on Taxes
- McCain Jumped on Iraq Attack Bandwagon Early
- Obama on Letterman
- Obama Ads
- Another Look At Palin
- The Commodification of 9/11
- Kimya Dawson -- Tire Swing
- Henry Rollins on Meet the Bloggers
- Clooney to Make Ronson's The Men Who Stare At Goat...
- I Choose Business Ethics
- Report -- Sex, Drugs and Oil Mix at Interior Dept....
- Doing the Lord's Work
- "Acrid Smell of Defeat" in Denver?
- She Keeps Lying
- You Keep Using That Word... I Don't Think it Mean...
- The Odds of a President Palin
- McCain/Palin Keep The Lies Coming
- McCain's Massive Bounce Bugs Me
- You Can't Win Without Your Voters
- "Who's He Gonna Tell? His Campaign Manager?"
- Unusable Signal
- Lightning Round -- Post RNC Edition
- Compassionate Conservative Hockey Mom
- Biden -- What You Didn't Hear at the RNC
- In Case You Missed It
- Never Forget November 2nd
- Maddow Starts Monday!
- Just Back From Dagoba
- Obama--"Who are They Fighting For?"
- More Top Notch Political Analysis
- Manufacturing the "Hubris Problem"
- We're Taking it Up a Notch
- Relive It--Old Man Potter Picked WHO?
- Now That's Some Insightful Analysis
- Biden -- No Attorney General, No President, No One...
- Palin's Speech Just Wrapped
- Amy Goodman Recounts Arrest on The Young Turks
- Latest Republican Talking Point
- Gonzales Mishandled Classified Materials
- I Smell Fear
- Democracy Now! Back on the Air
- Something Nice About Sarah Palin
- Free Amy Goodman
- Obama--The Tax Cut and Save Democrat
- Charlie Rose Probes Ahmadinejad's Global Views
- Wake Up America!
- Kerry on the Rampage
- Clinton and Palin are Gynecological Twins!
- We're The 1987 Mets and Russia is the 2004 Red Sox...
- History is Hard
- ▼ September (107)
- ► 2007 (995)