I recently finished reading Ron Suskind's book, The Way of the World: A Story of Truth and Hope in an Age of Extremism (courtesy of Russ). When the book came out, it was reduced to one story that was primarily passed over by the mainstream media. That was the story of the Habbush forgery, outlined by The Politico here and by Keith Olbermann here:
The book, however is much more important as a book. Not only does the entire work make the story of the Habbush forgery a bigger story by providing it with the proper frame, but the book itself nails down several important narratives missing from our national debate, and each of these ignored narratives has a massive price tag attached to it.
In the coming weeks, I will continue to revist Suskind's book in hopes of sustaining this brilliant work, if not with any of my readers, then for my own sake. I believe that books are being lost in a world of fragmentary thought. As bloggers, we have to find a way to blog about books.
For now, take a look at the author. Suskind appeared on Real Time With Bill Maher on Friday to talk about all manner of things.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
- ► 2010 (220)
- ► 2009 (423)
- Swing States Swinging Toward Obama
- How Do We Blog About Books?
- Chris Rock on Larry King
- Depends on What Your Definition of 'Significant Ph...
- Bailout Loses House Vote
- McCain Puts Science on Notice
- Congress Bails Out The Military Industrial Complex...
- McCain Wins in New Ad
- Alicia's Book is Out!
- Researchers Close in on Crown of Aleppo
- Sorry to Report, She's Still A Joke
- It Pays to Have a Bulletproof Contract
- Debate Wrap from The Young Turks
- Initial Debate Reaction
- Can You Vote?
- A Message from Elite Wall Street Fat Cats In Need
- The Pitchman
- Naomi Klein on Democracy Now!
- VP Candidate Palin Free of Witchcraft
- Campbell Brown Took it A Little Bit Too Far
- Why McCain Ditched the Letterman Show
- Colbert Asks Stewart to Join Him in Suspending Sho...
- One Simple God-damned Thing: The Lifetime Ban
- American Prospect Features Maddow
- He's On The Tank
- Harry Reid to McCain--You're Not Needed
- I Want Candy!
- Rep. DeFazio On The Bailout
- Campbell Brown Goes Off!
- October Surprise?
- Blogs Against Kleptocracy - The Crisis du Jour
- Lightning Round--Bush is Making a Run for the Get ...
- Obama -- No Blank Check
- Surging Against Ghosts
- YouTube is Way Ahead of Me
- Isn't Zapatero in Rage Against The Machine?
- McCain Throws Kitchen Sink at Self
- What's Really Going On Here?
- Charges Against Amy Goodman, Co-workers Dropped
- McCain, Obama to Spar in Debates
- Burn After Reading Brings New Meaning to the Term ...
- Lightning Round--McCain's Spain Problem, Conservat...
- Bush Needs Super Powers
- Friday at the Ha-Ha Hole, Barack Obama!
- John Amato on E!
- I've Got Your Talking Points Right Here
- This is My 3,000th Post
- Troopergate Update
- You... Human Paraquat!
- Stewart --"Sarah Palin IS the Bush Doctrine"
- Charlie Rose talks to Bob Nardelli
- Lightning Round--Palin Toked Up, The Bridge of Lie...
- Obama Comes out Swinging
- 1, 2, 3, 4, We Will Not Participate
- SNL Deals Palin Crushing Blow
- McCain on The View
- Obama Faces off With O'Reilly on Taxes
- McCain Jumped on Iraq Attack Bandwagon Early
- Obama on Letterman
- Obama Ads
- Another Look At Palin
- The Commodification of 9/11
- Kimya Dawson -- Tire Swing
- Henry Rollins on Meet the Bloggers
- Clooney to Make Ronson's The Men Who Stare At Goat...
- I Choose Business Ethics
- Report -- Sex, Drugs and Oil Mix at Interior Dept....
- Doing the Lord's Work
- "Acrid Smell of Defeat" in Denver?
- She Keeps Lying
- You Keep Using That Word... I Don't Think it Mean...
- The Odds of a President Palin
- McCain/Palin Keep The Lies Coming
- McCain's Massive Bounce Bugs Me
- You Can't Win Without Your Voters
- "Who's He Gonna Tell? His Campaign Manager?"
- Unusable Signal
- Lightning Round -- Post RNC Edition
- Compassionate Conservative Hockey Mom
- Biden -- What You Didn't Hear at the RNC
- In Case You Missed It
- Never Forget November 2nd
- Maddow Starts Monday!
- Just Back From Dagoba
- Obama--"Who are They Fighting For?"
- More Top Notch Political Analysis
- Manufacturing the "Hubris Problem"
- We're Taking it Up a Notch
- Relive It--Old Man Potter Picked WHO?
- Now That's Some Insightful Analysis
- Biden -- No Attorney General, No President, No One...
- Palin's Speech Just Wrapped
- Amy Goodman Recounts Arrest on The Young Turks
- Latest Republican Talking Point
- Gonzales Mishandled Classified Materials
- I Smell Fear
- Democracy Now! Back on the Air
- Something Nice About Sarah Palin
- Free Amy Goodman
- Obama--The Tax Cut and Save Democrat
- Charlie Rose Probes Ahmadinejad's Global Views
- Wake Up America!
- Kerry on the Rampage
- Clinton and Palin are Gynecological Twins!
- We're The 1987 Mets and Russia is the 2004 Red Sox...
- History is Hard
- ▼ September (107)
- ► 2007 (995)