I gotta say, that debate was a real piece of shit. Tom Brokaw's endless whining about the format being adhered to drove me nuts until, finally, even he couldn't stand himself anymore and finally shut up about it.
John McCain was his usual embarrassing self. When McCain called Obama "This one" he showed his ass once again. This man doesn't have the temperament not to act like an asshole in a Presidential debate, how can he deal with being President? A lot of political analysts keep attributing the trajectory of the race to McCain's horsecrap campaign, when a lot more credit has to go to Obama for shutting down all credible lines of attack months ago. McCain was left flailing, and flailing at his age just looks like hell.
McCain's campaign also put him in a box by sending out Sarah Palin to attack Obama's associations. This is an impotent line of attack that dried up before the general election, so for Palin to resuscitate all that nonsense obligated McCain to reinforce it in the debate. Yet, after days of Bill Ayers oozing out of every pore on Sarah Palin's body, John McCain didn't even deign to bring up this oh-so-important line of questioning at the big debate. Isn't that the same as an admission that this whole issue is deader than good journalism?
With John McCain shooting himself in the feet, Barack Obama didn't need to do any heavy lifting. Even his few aggressive moments seemed like overkill. It's like what Richard Clarke told us Donald Rumsfeld said when he was told to bomb Afghanistan. Rumsfeld whined that all the good targets are in Iraq. McCain is the Afghanistan of presidential camdidates. He has no good targets left to hit because they've all been destroyed long ago. By not making any mistakes that the media and McCain can seize on, Obama choked what little life was left out of the McCain campaign. He'll do the same in the last debate--after fifty million of these debates in the primaries and now two more in the can against McCain, Obama can kill off a debate in his sleep.
McCain opened the debate with what he thought was a very funny line about how nice it was to be with Barack Obama at a townhall meeting. This was the first of many mean spirited scripted lines that fell flat. But that line has new meaning after sitting through one ofthese things. Jesse Taylor at Pandagon points out that by foregoing McCain's offer to do a series of these townhall meetings, Obama "avoided putting us through that NINE MORE TIMES." Very presidential decision, Senator Obama, and a grateful nation thanks you for sparing us.
Image taken from the flickr account of this person.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Wednesday, October 08, 2008
- ► 2010 (220)
- ► 2009 (423)
- Pearl Jam - Masters Of War
- Where, Oh Where, Has Joe the Plumber Gone
- Rachel Maddow Inteviews Barack Obama
- Rick Sanchez Won't Let McCain Aide Imply... Somet...
- Palin's Not Taking This Crap For Nothing
- What is This Alabama You Speak Of
- Campbell Brown Calls Out "Ridiculously Misleading"...
- A New Virus, Eh?
- You Might Be a Redneck If... You Support Obama
- The Media is Working For Us For Once
- Busy Night For Obama
- The Obamercial
- Write to Marry Blogswarm
- Lightning Round--One Week Left Edition
- Michelle Obama on Leno
- Here's a Really Bad Idea--Bush for Congress
- Palin the Socialist
- McCain is an Anarchist
- Down Goes Cranky Senator
- U.S. Strikes Inside Syria
- The Last Days of the GOP
- Poll Abuse Rampant
- Wassup Now? Change.
- Mopping Up The Ashley Todd Story
- McCain Can Blame Loss on Deregulation... Of His Ca...
- Will Ferrell Endorses Tina Fey
- The Google Trumps Machiavelli
- Old School Reagan
- This Again?
- Never Too Early To Start Running for President
- So You Want to be a Political Analyst?
- Amy Poehler Fills in For Sarah Palin
- "I Award You No Points And May God Have Mercy On Y...
- Here's What Happens If You Don't Vote
- "Destroying the Fabric of Democracy"
- Not Enough Katherine Harrises To Steal This One
- John McCain--Comedy Gold
- So What'd I Miss?
- St. Louis Rallies for Obama
- Be Back Tuesday
- Lightning Round--Third Presidential Debate Reactio...
- Ahmadinejad's Influence Limited
- Wasilla 99654 Season Finale Set for Nov. 4th
- Taibbi--Rove Makes Election Referendum On Democrac...
- Can 'The Great Schlep' Deliver Florida?
- Bill Maher on Charlie Rose
- Hank, Go Back to Telling Us About Your Daddy
- War, Inc., W., and Grosse Pointe Blank--Writing Th...
- Anchorage Paper: Palin's Spin 'Orwellian'
- Can All The People Who Were Wrong About Economics ...
- Oh, It Can Get A Lot Dirtier
- Probama--The Affirmative Case
- Franken Calls Coleman on Cheap Smear
- Homosexualists Unite! Court Legalizes Gay Marriag...
- Behold, The Shark Messiah
- Bush Wants to Leave?
- Bring it On
- No Way Out
- Tough Room
- To Infinity and Beyond
- Six Degrees of Barack Obama
- Where It All Started
- I Don't Wanna Let Information Into My Skull!
- Lightning Round--Tonight at the Planetarium, It's ...
- Puts It All In To Perspective, Doesn't It?
- Turn Back the Clock
- Something About This Report Bothers Me
- Drawing Fire from the Mothership
- McCain Drops Soap
- Second Presidential Debate Reaction
- "It's Like a Really Bad Disney Movie"
- One Last Outburst Before I Keep It Cool
- Bluegrass Star Endorses Obama in Radio Ad
- While We're On The Subject of Donors...
- Angela Davis on Inside USA
- Obama Releases Keating Economics Documentary
- The Vice President's on the Phone
- Tina Fey Will Not Stop Destroying Sarah Palin
- They'll Say No One Saw it Coming
- Bill O'Reilly and Barney Frank--To The Death
- Obama Ad -- The American Promise
- Folksy, Power Mad... Hmm... Where Have We Seen T...
- Fishman's Here to Pick Up His Check
- The Red Flag of "The White Flag of Surrender"
- McCain's Temper Showing Frequently
- Fuzzy Math in Ohio Poll
- Palin Misquotes Thomas Jefferson
- Okay, Start Drilling
- Homer E-Votes
- ▼ October (89)
- ► 2007 (995)