I did take note of the indictments against Bush Administration super villain Dick Cheney and his willing patsy, Alberto Gonzales. At the heart of the indictment is an industry that I have long been extremely wary of--private prisons.
According to a report in the Los Angeles Times, Cheney is charged with "engaging in an organized criminal activity related to his investment in the Vanguard Group, which holds financial interests in the private prison companies running the federal detention centers."
So, after starting a war based on bullshit, funneling no-bid contracts to Halliburton, helping to out Valerie Plame, shooting his buddy, burning all the shit in his safe and all types of other major league violations of both the letter and the spirit of American law, the Mighty Dick Cheney gets indicted over his dealings in the private prison business by a small time prosecutor in a border town? Seriously?
Early word has it that the prosecutor is completely insane. There's also the possibility that the prosecutor is insane and that Cheney is guilty anyway.
The indictment of Gonzales is for allegedly obstructing a 2006 investigation into abuses one of the private prisons.
David Platt at Huffington Post asks, will Cheney Pardon himself? It's not legal for a Vice President to pardon himself, but when has the law ever stopped Cheney?
By the way something, the first hearing on the indictments degenerated into something resembling the end of And Justice for All. Not the greatest beginning to an uphill legal battle, but perhaps the making of a great film one of these days.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Saturday, November 22, 2008
by Jay Allbritton
- ► 2010 (220)
- ► 2009 (423)
- Enemies of the State
- Samantha Power On State Department Transition Team...
- Saudi King Wants to Goose Oil Prices
- Ancient Bud Found in China
- Word on the Street: Transit
- Chase Your Tail
- From Russia With Pessimism
- Howard Dean on The Young Turks
- I Would Podcast Morning Chuck
- We Don't Need No Stinkin' Fairness Doctrine
- Surreal Cheney, Gonzales Indictments Baffling, Fun...
- Obama's Weekly Address (11-22-2008)
- Tough Room
- That's Cheating
- We Have Serious Ass Pirate Problems...
- Angry Conservative Unsatisfied With Interviewer
- Hey, What's Going On in the Rest of the World?
- Priest Rains Fire and Brimstone on Obamaniacs
- I've Been Tagged Ya'all!
- There's Not Going to be Any Gun Control Legislatio...
- Repeal Prop 8
- O'Reilly v. Stewart
- So Now You Tell Us
- Baucus Unleashes Healthcare Plan
- Lightning Round--Iraq News, Veterans Day, Impeach ...
- Rick Sanchez v. Joe The Plumber
- Newsweek Looks Behind the Scenes of Election 2008
- President-elect Obama's First Press Conference
- "This Is How We Keep Score, Bubby"
- Journalism Lives
- Rachel Maddow on The Colbert Report
- Requests and Demands Pile Up for Obama
- I Almost Forgot The Fifth of November
- Elizabeth Dole No Longer a Senator
- Pick Whoever You Like Barack
- The Acceptance
- Hey, We Won. Cool.
- Election Night Live Blog (Part 2)
- Election Night Live Blog (Part 1)
- Madelyn Dunham -- 1922-2008
- My Prediction
- A Rhetorical Device in Need of Repair
- Bush's White House Exit Strategy Underway
- We've ALL Been Punk'd
- Obama On McCain Landing a Big Endorsement from Dic...
- Marc Maron Talks to Old People
- Bill Clinton to California on Prop 8--'I Know That...
- ▼ November (48)
- ► 2007 (995)