Not everyone in Afghanistan's hinterlands had heard of [Viagra], leading to some awkward encounters when Americans delicately attempted to explain its effects, taking care not to offend their hosts' religious sensitivities.Remember, warlords, if your erection lasts longer than four hours, see a physician.
Such was the case with the 60-year-old chieftain who received the four pills from a U.S. operative. According to the retired operative who was there, the man was a clan leader in southern Afghanistan who had been wary of Americans -- neither supportive nor actively opposed. The man had extensive knowledge of the region and his village controlled key passages through the area. U.S. forces needed his cooperation and worked hard to win it, the retired operative said.
After a long conversation through an interpreter, the retired operator began to probe for ways to win the man's loyalty. A discussion of the man's family and many wives provided inspiration. Once it was established that the man was in good health, the pills were offered and accepted.
Four days later, when the Americans returned, the gift had worked its magic, the operative recalled.
"He came up to us beaming," the official said. "He said, 'You are a great man.' "
"And after that we could do whatever we wanted in his area."
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Friday, December 26, 2008
by Jay Allbritton
Isn't it nice when the Military Industrial Complex works together with the Pharmaceutical industry to get things done?
- ► 2010 (220)
- ► 2009 (423)
- One Percent, Eh?
- The New Forgotten War
- This Calls For a Readin' Challenge!
- Ice Station Radio - Cheney Confession Tour Edition...
- From the Irony Department...
- Naomi Wolf at Bluestockings Bookstore
- David Sirota Slices and Dices Lame Anti-FDR Meme
- Job Search Insanity Setting In
- My Suggestion to MSNBC
- Winning Hearts and Minds
- Now Where's My "Duh!" File?
- Maddow Corrects Self, Wins Even More Respect
- Lightning Roung -- Christmas Staycation Edition
- Have You Seen This Man?
- Sarah Palin Airs Her Festivus Grievances
- Birth of a Conspiracy Theory
- More Slaves Now Than Ever
- Ice Station Radio -- 2008 Going Out Of Business Sa...
- Keep On Blogging in The Free World...
- Gonzo Goes on Fox To Set Record Crooked
- Bush Admits YouTube Would Have Been A Problem
- Teacher Fired For Blowing Lid Off Christmas Cover ...
- Cheney Confessed on Purpose
- Man, They'll Let Anyone Pray At This Inauguration
- Hall and Oates Play Colmes Out
- Shuster Talks to Thom Hartman About GOP Union Bust...
- Getting The Band Back Together
- Cheney Wouldn't Have Needed to Duck Shoe Attack
- I Got This Thing and It's Golden
- Bush's Ducking Under Fire Not Lame At All
- Ice Station Radio - I Do Not Heart Huckabee Editio...
- John Edwards Out Polls President Bush In Fox Poll
- Always Room for Jello Biafra's Open Letter to Bara...
- That Global Climate Problem... It's Still There
- Make Room For Blagojevich, Pardon Ryan
- John Ashcroft Is All About Gitmo
- "They Stole Our Domain Name!"
- If This Is The Last Straw, Then You Have a lot of ...
- Rescued From the Memory Hole
- Governors Filling Senate Vacancies Is a Bad Idea
- I'll Take That As a "No"
- It Doesn't Matter If Obama is Liberal or Centrist
- Deleted Scenes from the McCain Campaign
- Bill Moyers Talks to Senator Russ Feingold
- Ice Station Radio -- Resetting the Franchise
- Lightning Round--No Justice, No Medal of Peace Edi...
- Bob Saget For Senate
- Prop 8: The Musical
- Does Obama Have McCain By the Balls?
- Climate Change Melts Man!
- Still In The Tank
- Bring It On
- He's out there. Lurking...
- ▼ December (53)
- ► 2007 (995)