Whether or not King's dream was realized by the election and inauguration of President Obama, the once far fetched concept of a black President will never again be the premise of a stand-up comedy routine or a sketch.
Here's a look at some of the greats riffing on the formerly unattainable dream.
Things get progressively more stereotypical in this SNL sketch featuring Pryor playing Carter's successor.
During the Reagan administration, Eddie Murphy talks about the prospect of Jesse Jackson running for President.
Dave has a plan to stay alive if he became the first black President--appoint a Mexican Vice President. It doesn't reflect well on me, but this was a plus in my column when I was considering the benefits of Obama selecting Bill Richardson.
This isn't a comedy situation, but Ali gives an all too prophetic assessment of the job facing the first black President--the ship is going down.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
- ► 2010 (220)
- Poppy Gets Sloppy at Forum With Clinton
- Power To Join Administration
- Will Rush Bail Out Clear Channel?
- 'Irreversible' is Bad, Right?
- Blago on Rachel Maddow Show
- Next, No Talking or Smiling
- Iceland's Economic Collapse Brings Down Government...
- Flashback--2008 State of the Black Union
- The Pivot Away From Bipartisanship
- Cheney Wanted Libby Pardoned
- I'm Screaming Howard Dean for the MSNBC Gig
- Beck and Dobson Do Comedy Right
- We Knew It Was Coming
- Don't Look Back in Anger
- When I Say Everybody Got Spied On, I Mean...
- "You Are Like the Buzzing of Flies to Him!"
- They Used to Joke About It
- On Obama's Speech
- On Rick Warren's Invocation
- He's Just One of Those Guys
- Get Hopper to the Chopper
- Bush Is Leaving, The Movement Is Staying
- IST LIST--Top Ten Talkers
- Watch This While I Tidy Up a Bit
- Word[s] On The Street: "Let Us Seek a Better World...
- In All Fairness
- Transition to a New Template
- That's Not How You Do A Press Conference!
- When It All Went Amiss
- Media Neutrality is Garbage
- Now Break Bread With Bloggers, Mr. President-Elect...
- The Cheney Gang's Weak Link
- Crusty Political Cliche Resurfaces
- When Michael Moore Met Sanjay Gupta
- PSA From Wanda Sykes
- Peru Plants a Model For Fighting Global Warming
- DiFi Takes Umbrage
- Remember When President Bush Ran on "Humble Foreig...
- Ice Station Radio - Dayman Edition
- "...the friend of my friend is my...enemy?"
- Lightning Round--Barack Obama in the Comics, The L...
- Maddow on the The Daily Show
- Program Note
- President-elect Obama, Sooper Genius
- Need Something to Do? Go After Reagan
- Howard Dean Did It All for the Love
- Jeb Is Up to Something
- Perhaps I'll Give Buddhism a Try
- Get Out The Vote
- Žižek On Gaza Crisis
- Jeb Not Running, Coleman Not Staying
- Colbert & Colmes
- What Unitary Executive?
- It's Hard to Defend Pirates
- Suit Up, Steny!
- Poppy's Messing With My Mind
- William "the Bloody" Strikes Again
- Party of Whiners
- The New West Wing
- Third Blogiversary
- ▼ January (61)
- ► 2008 (917)
- ► 2007 (995)