Like a lot of people, I have a collection of lines from movies in my memory banks that pop into my head when my feelings match the mood of a character as they utter their famous, or not so famous, line. It doesn't have to be some ubiquitous utterence like, "Life is like a box of chocolates," or "Give me back my son!" It can be any obscure line in Bottle Rocket or The Big Lebowski. For instance, every day last week, I woke up dreading going to work, and every morning I would express that sentiment in my head with Anthony's (Luke Wilson) line from the beginning of the third act of Bottle Rocket when he calls Bob on the walkie-talkie and says, "I really don't want to do this robbery." It didn't matter that I wasn't going to be robbing anything, the similarity between Anthony's reluctance to do the robbery and my reluctance to get out of bed, take a shower, commute for an hour to get underpaid for eight hours, only to then commute for another hour back home made my fixation on that line the perfect vessel for my angst.
Similarly, today, as I watched Republican after Republican get up and pretend that more tax cuts will stimulate the economy, despite the evidence to the contrary, the line in Glengarry Glen Ross uttered by Ricky Roma (Al Pacino) to Williamson (Kevin Spacey) during Pacino's molten monologue near the end of the film--"What you are hired for is to help us, does that seem clear to you? To help us? Not to-fuck-us-up"--kept repeating in my head. In my mind's eye I could see President Obama walk up to Lindsay Graham and say to him, "What you are hired for is to help us, does that seem clear to you? To help us? Not to-fuck-us-up."
Anyway, here's the sequence leading up to Roma's explosion.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Friday, February 06, 2009
- ► 2010 (220)
- Handicapping the 2032 Presidential Election
- Rising Up, Back On the Street
- Eating a Dandelion
- Insanity Train Leaving The Station
- Obama Sets Iraq Withdrawal Timetable
- While We're At It, Can We Re-Do The Last Eight Yea...
- Pelosi Finds The Table
- Will You Put Him On The Air When He's in Jail?
- President Obama Issues Timetable on Healthcare Ref...
- Steele Could Motivate Moderates to Jump Ship
- Everyone Knows Obama Is a Commie
- Sad Day for Human Rights
- Keep Shrinking That Base
- Would You Drink Something Invented By This Man?
- The Mayor of Lansing Kicks Ass
- Sanchez Strikes Again
- What, No I Can Has Cheeseburger?
- Lightning Round--Non-Stimulus Edition
- Bush Takes Act To Canada
- Tommy Christopher Drinks Salvation!
- Compare 44 with 43
- Republicans Hate America! Example # 6,781,237
- Someone Did a Poll On Investigating the Bush Admin...
- Hearts and Minds
- The Media's Precarious Stretch for Balance
- Really, Kelloggs?
- These Are Not the Jobs You're Looking For
- Stephen Colbert on Rush Limbaugh's GOP
- What Have We Here?
- Don't Let Korn Get Stimulus Money!
- What You Are Hired For Is To Help Us
- I Don't Care If He Gives The State of the Union In...
- "Welcome to Oklahoma..."
- Back Under Construction
- Gone? He's Not Gone! He's Never Gone!
- Scalia Snaps at FAU Undergrad
- Dean On HHS Short List?
- Happy Blogroll Amnesty Day
- Contrary to Popular Opinion
- Thom Hartmann on Countdown
- Who Is This George Soros Of Which You Speak?
- Obama Proposes Modest Defense Cuts
- Was Phelps Caught With Performance Debilitating Dr...
- ▼ February (45)
- ► 2008 (917)
- ► 2007 (995)