On Thom Hartmann's Friday show, he mentioned something in passing called "green swimming pools". These are the untended pools of houses in warm climates left behind by people abandoning or being kicked out of their houses because of the mortgage crisis and, apparently, they are a breeding ground for mosquitoes and, as such, contribute to concerns that more cases of West Nile Virus will turn up in these areas.
In May of 2008, the L.A. Times published an article that warned of this phenomenon while reporting that 13 birds with West Nile virus were found in Orange County that month. With even more abandoned houses around the country this year, this could be something we hear more about.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
- ► 2010 (220)
- That's Too Real For Me
- Year of the Boomerang
- Webb Introduces Prison Reform Bill, Other Senators...
- That's What She Said
- Letterman Offers Perspective on Obama's Teleprompt...
- What An Act of Congress Can Do
- Lightning Round--Michael Steele Punks America Edit...
- That's The Problem Right There
- Beware The Balance Monkey
- The Real Most Liberal Senator Places Hold On Obama...
- CNBC Hires Howard Dean
- Michelle Bachman Wants to Refresh the Tree of Libe...
- Louie CK on Conan
- Ice Station Radio--This Is The Droid You Are Looki...
- Obama On Leno
- Thank You, Canada!
- Teleprompt This
- The Real Redistributionist-In-Chief
- Richardson Ends Death Penalty in New Mexico
- Obama Reverses Bush, Endorses U.N. Call for Decrim...
- Work On It
- Obama Administration Takes Baby Steps On Drug Poli...
- Go Kill Yourselves
- Carlson, Maddow Weigh in on Cramer v. Stewart
- Mortgage Crisis Fueling West Nile?
- Stewart v. Cramer IV--The Final Chapter
- Wha? I Didn't Do Nothing
- Lightning Round--It's an Alternative Universe, Cha...
- Some People Just Don't Instill Confidence
- Stewart v. Cramer III--The Saga Continues
- Well, Allow Me To Retort
- Don Siegelman On Rachel Maddow
- When Evil Needs PR...
- Pre-Recession Mindset Infects GOP, Media
- My McNuggets Are an Emergency
- We Knew That Already
- Jon Stewart's Rage Waxes Hot
- Godspeed, Don Siegelman
- Just When America Found Out He Had a Show
- Chinese Bloggers Blow Lid Off Media, Government Du...
- A Swing to the Left?
- Just Brainstorming Here, But Do We Need The First ...
- The Case For Marijuana
- The Head of the Republican Party Is...
- Wingnutistan and the Deep End
- Another Memo to Pinky
- Memo to The King of the Dying Party
- PM and Snorting Koch
- ▼ March (48)
- ► 2008 (917)
- ► 2007 (995)