At the height of the Bush Administration, Arlen Specter drove me nuts. He would occasionally appear on the precipice of doing the right thing, then... not so much.
In July of 2007, Specter talked of empowering a special prosecutor to look into the 2006 firing of U.S. Attorneys.
In May of 2006, in a move designed solely to force red state Democrats onto the record, Specter voted for a gay marriage ban in committee before voting against it on the floor.
After all that, knocking off Specter meant a lot to me. So, while this is a great moment for the Obama agenda, it's a tough day for progressives hoping to get a better Senator in that seat in 2010. Also, Specter joining the Democrats effectively ends my one-man Bob Saget for Senate campaign. Well, he was a better choice than Chris Matthews.
Still, Specter's switch to the Democrats tells a larger tale. The Republican Party shrank so much by 2008, that a relative moderate like John McCain had to take on such radical positions just to get nominated that he could not sustain a credible national campaign. What remains of that party is a mess, and while at least two viable national parties are necessary to the health of our nation, it doesn't bother me in the least to see the message being sent in the clearest possible language--the Republican Party must change or it will die.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
- ► 2010 (220)
- The Horror--The Daily Show Exposes Swedish Dystopi...
- The Daily Show Covers Your Government, Not At Work...
- Specter a Symptom of Shrinking GOP
- How Warming Deniers Use Shortened Trend Lines To C...
- Nailed It!
- Mirror Mirror On the Wall, Who's the Snarkiest of ...
- Have a question for Obama?
- "Hospitals Which are so Expensive that it's Cheape...
- Hillary Clinton and Ron Paul Look Back at Election...
- Did DHS Report mean these people?
- The Diabolical Al Gore Strikes Again
- Randi's Coming Back
- Messianic Convergence
- Ron Suskind on Rachel Maddow Show
- Deploy Clinton
- Senate Armed Services Committee Releases Torture R...
- Back From Twitter Land
- Justifying DHS Reports
- Something Complicated Happened and Some of it Is o...
- Texas Isn't Seceding, It's Turning Blue
- Bill Moyers Talks to The Wire's David Simon
- Shoe Throwing School
- More Than Meets the Eye
- The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul
- Don't Call It a Comeback
- Cybersecurity Act of 2009
- Obama Loosens Restrictions on Travel to Cuba
- Where Was The Lunatic Fringe In March 2001?
- Hostage Situation Had Nothing to do With Obama, Bu...
- Live!!! On Stage...
- Glenn Beck's Setting Himself on Fire
- Zinn on Class
- Teabagging Hysteria!
- Americans Losing Patience With Capitalism
- AP's Latest Fail
- Auditioning Outrage
- Political Correctness Run Wild--Obama Institutes P...
- Newt's Bloviation Spree Continues
- The Way of The Gun
- Holy Treaty of Tripoli, Batman
- Feel Free to Read This Post At Work
- The Class War Is Being Televised
- The Kids Really Dig The President
- If I Stole Stephen Colbert's Material
- ¿Puede decir usted "gracias"?
- Best Demon Ever
- The War On Spain Flows Mainly From O'Reilly's Brai...
- Shultz In, Shuster Out As MSNBC Host
- ▼ April (48)
- ► 2008 (917)
- ► 2007 (995)