Understanding how television affects the rules of politics can present opportunities to reveal things about your opponents that they do not what the people to know. One thing that Republicans probably wouldn't want the average low information voter to know about is the fact that they are using the filibuster egregiously to create the impression--and the reality--that the Democratic majority can not get anything done.
Last night night President Obama brilliantly used the structure of the State of the Union, which has evolved into the following structure: President says something, camera cuts to one party to see their reaction, then sweeps over to see the reaction of the other party. President Obama continuously put the Republicans on the record by talking about populist issues. One after another he made very reasonable, populist statements about tax credits for small businesses, ending tax breaks for companies that outsource jobs, student loan relief and keeping foreign money out of U.S. elections.
Each time, the Republican side sat there, stone faced, chuckling or scoffing (Crooks and Liars has the video). Like Nixon's sweaty debate performance against Kennedy, the simple rule that optics are everything in politics was lost on the Republicans once more. Wether this actually influences anything is highly debatable, but it could provide an opening if it's followed up on properly.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Thursday, January 28, 2010
- I'm Not Calling it That
- Not Going Anywhere Near the iPad
- He Did Ask Politely
- Psst. They Can See You
- Set Fazers to Auto-Filibust
- Howard Zinn (1922-2010)
- Yes We Can
- UPDATE--Oregon Passes Tax on Rich, Corporations
- Disinfecting My Brain
- We're Not Moving Right; We're Moving Back in Time
- Pouring Fuel On The Fire
- 2009--Nothing Cool About It
- Somewhere Sam Seder is Laughing
- Get Out of the Bubble
- I Think The Penguin Is Trying to Tell You Somethin...
- What 41 Republican Senators Means to Me
- Clinton and Bush Team Up for Haiti
- Jimmy Kimmel Unleashes Nearly Funny Frontal Assaul...
- We'll be Raffling off the Presidency in 2012
- "Have You Read This Book?"
- "The Machine is (Changing) Us"
- Taking Sides
- Lightning Round--2010 Sucks Already Edition
- If Harry Reid Resigns, I Resign From Hope
- Musical Interlude
- They Hate You Like Poison, Joe
- Michael Pollan Visits The Daily Show
- Calling For a Global Warming Joke Moratorium
- I Didn't Know You Could Use Ammonia for That
- Can I Get a Refund?
- The Decade of Sanchez?
- Happy New Year, Station Nation, We're Four Years O...
- ▼ January (33)
- ► 2009 (423)
- ► 2008 (917)
- ► 2007 (995)