Well, they finally killed it. Air America has declared bankruptcy and halted programming they announced today. They were too failed to be big. For just over six years the liberal network tried to make inroads against the predominantly conservative talk radio landscape. While there is little doubt that conventional wisdom, driven by those radio hosts and the corporate media who listens to them, will attribute the failure to what they consider the inherent conservative-ness of America. The truth is much more simple--the people who ran Air America really sucked at programming a radio network.
Air America's legacy is manifested in the talented alumni the network either couldn't keep or drove away. Rachel Maddow and Randi Rhodes are stars on TV and radio respectively. Marc Maron maintains one of the most popular and critically acclaimed podcast in the country. Senator Franken wasn't great on the air, but that's because no one was comparing him to Montel Williams. Thom Hartmann continues to be an impressive, nationally syndicated presence.
In the end I'm glad to see the network gone. They killed Morning Sedition, The Majority Report, fired Randi Rhodes, fired the Young Turks, fired Mike Malloy, fired Sam Seder and Marc Maron multiple times--at least three times each! Seriously, what kind of twisted, sadistic shit is that? Tell Conan that NBC's programmers don't have shit on the clownfuckers that ran AAR into the ground. Any corporation that shits on that caliber of progressive talent is not on our side, no matter what their imaging says.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Thursday, January 21, 2010
- I'm Not Calling it That
- Not Going Anywhere Near the iPad
- He Did Ask Politely
- Psst. They Can See You
- Set Fazers to Auto-Filibust
- Howard Zinn (1922-2010)
- Yes We Can
- UPDATE--Oregon Passes Tax on Rich, Corporations
- Disinfecting My Brain
- We're Not Moving Right; We're Moving Back in Time
- Pouring Fuel On The Fire
- 2009--Nothing Cool About It
- Somewhere Sam Seder is Laughing
- Get Out of the Bubble
- I Think The Penguin Is Trying to Tell You Somethin...
- What 41 Republican Senators Means to Me
- Clinton and Bush Team Up for Haiti
- Jimmy Kimmel Unleashes Nearly Funny Frontal Assaul...
- We'll be Raffling off the Presidency in 2012
- "Have You Read This Book?"
- "The Machine is (Changing) Us"
- Taking Sides
- Lightning Round--2010 Sucks Already Edition
- If Harry Reid Resigns, I Resign From Hope
- Musical Interlude
- They Hate You Like Poison, Joe
- Michael Pollan Visits The Daily Show
- Calling For a Global Warming Joke Moratorium
- I Didn't Know You Could Use Ammonia for That
- Can I Get a Refund?
- The Decade of Sanchez?
- Happy New Year, Station Nation, We're Four Years O...
- ▼ January (33)
- ► 2009 (423)
- ► 2008 (917)
- ► 2007 (995)