As soon as the 41st Republican was sworn in, Alabama Republican Senator Richard Shelby, who is pissed at the White House because a $35 billion deal with Northrop Grumman wound up being voided, issued a blanket hold on all Obama nominees. I fully expect a fierce strikeback from the Democrats any minute now. It's going to be crushing. Just watch. Harry Reid will not stand for this kind of thing. They messed with the wrong political party this time.
Anywho, Think Progress looks back at a time when Sen. Shelby was beside himself with indignation because Democrats would not allow up or down votes. of the blanket hold, MyDD's Charles Lemos wrote, "This isn't government, this is hostage-taking."
Steve Benen has more on the filibustery nature of the Republican super-minority in the Senate. There is growing sentiment for "filibuster reform," even as the Republicans gleefully eye a juicy filibuster of the upcoming jobs bill. I'm sure the Senate will get right on that. I assume that kind of thing can't be filibustered, because that would just be hysterical.
UPDATE: Harry Reid pulled a stunt similar to Shelby's in 2004, TPM explains how it was the same and how it was very different.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Friday, February 05, 2010
- Well Played, Matthews
- Gadhafi Declares Somewhat Holy, Somewhat Punic War...
- Wait For It....
- You Were Governor of Alaska, Now You Can Go to Col...
- Hope for Darfur?
- He Was Talking About Some Other Thomas Paine
- CPAC Is Counterproductive for Republicans, Fun for...
- Long Live Firefly
- More Snowy Winters, Global Warming Denial to Come
- Osama Bin Laden Almost Killed Bill Clinton
- Godspeed, Haloscan
- See You in 2016, Senator Bayh
- Greg Fitzsimmons Pisses All Over Trickle Down Econ...
- Memo to the Obama Administration: It's Called a Ta...
- Quentin Tarantino Talks About Inglorious Basterds ...
- Clear Cooling Trend Started in August
- My Favorite Things--Novels by David Derrico
- Colbert Drops F-Bomb and R-Bomb on Palin
- Break Me Off a Million or Two, Chairman Steele
- Sarah Palin Stole My Line!
- And They Pass The Savings Along to You
- Young Turks Host Sam Seder Webcast
- Shelby Issues Blanket Hold of All Obama Nominees
- Stewart Issues Measured Criticism of Hyperbolic, V...
- Health Care Will Get Fixed In Another Life, Brutha...
- Jon Stewart Visits the old Crank
- I Deem This to be Awesome
- This is Hard, Because AC/DC is Cool
- The Only Thing That Matters is That I Think That i...
- The President's Question Time
- Maybe Goldman's CEO can Personally Bail Out Exxon
- ▼ February (31)
- ► 2009 (423)
- ► 2008 (917)
- ► 2007 (995)