So, it turns out I was right when I predicted early yesterday that Arlen Specter was toast. Not the most amazing act of prognostication you're likely to see, since the race was essentially a toss up.
Even though a late Sestak surge made it an 8-point win, from a strategic standpoint, Specter was probably right to try to win the Democratic nomination. The Republican electorate has become too intractable for someone playing at being moderate to prevail against Pat Toomey, a darling of conservative fund raising dynamos the Club for Growth.
A Charlie Crist/Joe Lieberman-style independent run wouldn't have worked as well in Pennsylvania, where Sestak was a much stronger candidate than Kendrick Meek appears to be in Florida or Alan Schlesinger was in Connecticut. Trying to thread the needle between Sestak and Toomey would have probably left Specter in third place.
Who's Alan Schlesinger you ask? Exactly.
Specter is gone and if Sestak can replace him, then great. The Senate gets a major upgrade. If, however, Toomey wins I'm pretty sure he'll make us miss unctuous ancient Arlen quicker than you can smoke up your supply of Dutch cleanser.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
- Sad Day for Aquaman
- BP Treats President, American People, Like Chumps
- 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Repeal Advances
- Here's Some Poopy
- Dylan Ratigan Leads the TYT Army Into Battle
- Similarities Between 1979 Ixtoc I Oil Spill and De...
- Lightning Round--Sam Seder Calls Bullshit, Atheist...
- I Hate the Government So Much I Want to be Senator...
- Nailed It!
- Prediction--Macho Arlen is Going Down
- Just Wait
- BP CEO's Powerful Spin Propels Entire Spill Out of...
- Jon Stewart Decodes Media's Bush/Obama Equivalency...
- Lightning Round--The Tea Party Deck, Battlefield E...
- Writers on the Inside
- Planet Earth, That's a Wrap, We've Been Humanity, ...
- Okay, Start Ruing
- Obama Nominates Kagan
- She's More Than Likable Enough
- Prosecution of President Obama Off to Bad Start
- Traveling while Hispanic
- Lightning Round--Ambrose a Fraud?, Nuke the Spill?...
- George Will, Defender of Birds Everywhere
- Take Our Former President, Please
- No White House, Daily Show Comedy Cabal
- Brownie's Got a Slick Conspiracy Theory
- William the Oily
- President Obama at Michigan Commencement and the W...
- The Size of Spain?
- ▼ May (29)
- ► 2009 (423)
- ► 2008 (917)
- ► 2007 (995)