President Obama did have help writing his comedy routine for the White House Correspondents' Dinner, but not from the writing staff of The Daily Show. Obama got his assist from one particular Daily Show scribe, Kevin Bleyer, who was not acting on behalf of the show.
Frankly, if Stephen Colbert, John Oliver and the ghost of Bill Hicks wrote the routine with the president over beers at the White House bowling alley it wouldn't have mattered, even a little, because stand up comedy is often collaborative. Furthermore, while Obama exceeded expectations with his set, it wasn't Bring the Pain or Bill Cosby Himself or anything. The combination of Leno's suction and the president's competence has the media convinced he's the second coming of George Carlin.
The event itself is an abomination to journalism and it puts the president in the position of having to joke about serious, life and death matters. I know a lot of people who didn't think the president should be making jokes of any kind about predator drones. And besides, after Colbert's set in 2006 they should have just ended the whole thing.
Of course, there will be plenty of assholes using this against the president and The Daily Show because many of those people have proven they will say or do anything to criticize Obama, or anyone else they think is liberal. I still hear things about his teleprompter.
Hello, Station Nation. This blog has moved. You can find me here. Please adjust your feeds and blogrolls accordingly.
Tuesday, May 04, 2010
- Sad Day for Aquaman
- BP Treats President, American People, Like Chumps
- 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Repeal Advances
- Here's Some Poopy
- Dylan Ratigan Leads the TYT Army Into Battle
- Similarities Between 1979 Ixtoc I Oil Spill and De...
- Lightning Round--Sam Seder Calls Bullshit, Atheist...
- I Hate the Government So Much I Want to be Senator...
- Nailed It!
- Prediction--Macho Arlen is Going Down
- Just Wait
- BP CEO's Powerful Spin Propels Entire Spill Out of...
- Jon Stewart Decodes Media's Bush/Obama Equivalency...
- Lightning Round--The Tea Party Deck, Battlefield E...
- Writers on the Inside
- Planet Earth, That's a Wrap, We've Been Humanity, ...
- Okay, Start Ruing
- Obama Nominates Kagan
- She's More Than Likable Enough
- Prosecution of President Obama Off to Bad Start
- Traveling while Hispanic
- Lightning Round--Ambrose a Fraud?, Nuke the Spill?...
- George Will, Defender of Birds Everywhere
- Take Our Former President, Please
- No White House, Daily Show Comedy Cabal
- Brownie's Got a Slick Conspiracy Theory
- William the Oily
- President Obama at Michigan Commencement and the W...
- The Size of Spain?
- ▼ May (29)
- ► 2009 (423)
- ► 2008 (917)
- ► 2007 (995)